The Diagnosis Procedures are the first steps that a System Administrator will take to locate the source of an error in Knowage. Once the nature of the error is identified with these tests, the system admin will often have to resort to more concrete and specific testing to pinpoint the exact point of failure and a possible solution. Such specific testing is out of the scope of this section.
Please report any bug or problem with Knowage by opening and issue in JIRA.
Although we haven't done yet a precise profiling on Knowage, tests done in our development and testing environment show that a host with 2 CPU cores and 8 GB RAM is the minimum configuration to run Knowage with MySQL server.
Remote Service Access
Knowage can run standalone, it's a Business Intelligence Application and it can grab the data from different data sources. However, when considering its use in the FIWARE platform, below is a list of the GEs that typically can be connected to Knowage usage:
- Identity Management - KeyRock : Knowage can use authentication and authorization mechanism provided by the Identity Manament. Check the admin manual
- Orion Context Broker : Knowage can query and analyze the data coming from Orion and it can be notified if the data changes. Check the NGSI manual
- CKAN: Knowage can query and analyze the data from CKAN portal. Check the CKAN manual
The most usual problems that Knowage may have are related to abnormal consumption of memory due to leaks.
Regarding abnormal consumption of memory, it can be detected by the the following symptoms:
- Knowage launches OutOfMemoryExceptions
- Knowage doesn't crash but stops processing requests, i.e. new requests "hang" as they never receive a response.
You can verify these situations also checking the log files of Tomcat.
The solution to this problem is restarting SpagoBI.
Knowage uses the following flows:
- Using TCP port 8080, default port of Tomcat Application Server
- From Knowage to MySQL database. In the case of running MySQL in the same host as the broker, this is an internal flow (i.e. using the loopback interface). The standard port in MySQL is 3306 although that can be changed in the configuration.
- From Knowage to external data sources. SpagoBI cqn query external data (REST services, external database connected with JDBC, CKAN portal)